About me

Mitt foto
Stockholm, Sweden
My academic blog with history, primarily military history as the main theme. Please leave a comment that can be relevant and useful for the topic which you find interesting. I am writing in several languages, including English, depending on the theme and the languages of the sources. At the moment I am working as guide at Batteriet Arholma military museum in Stockholm. For further information please contact me on lauvlad89@gmail.com

onsdag 23 juli 2014

My favorite book about stormtroopers

Recently I have read the book German Assault Troops of World War I written by author Thomas Wictor. For more info just follow the link and you will also be able to see supplementary material.    

For me personally, Thomas book is the best that I have read about German army assault troops during the WWI period. My two absolute favourite aspects with this book is that: 

1. It includes an enormous amount of photographs showing units, tactics, training manuals, maps, equipment etc. By that way, it is easier to follow changes through time 

2. It presets translations of original German army training manuals and instructions, assault orders and plans, soldiers diaries etc. These are giving a excellent possibility for the reader to understand the development of assault tactics in a more more profound and comprehensive way.  


Also, I have written a small review for Thomas book, which I highly recommend: 

An impressive and detailed work about German army assault troops during World War One by author Thomas Wictor.  Through the book, a reader can easily understand the development of the assault troops during the four years of war, starting with the “grassroots” and ending at a more general level. Different kinds of assault units, tactics, equipment  and innovative military personnel are presented at the same time as the overall working process of the German army regarding the top-down and bottom-up Knowledge developments. Usage of German military sources from the relevant period makes the book an authentic piece of work since the spirit of the time is presented for those who want to understand the topic more deeply.   

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar