About me

Mitt foto
Stockholm, Sweden
My academic blog with history, primarily military history as the main theme. Please leave a comment that can be relevant and useful for the topic which you find interesting. I am writing in several languages, including English, depending on the theme and the languages of the sources. At the moment I am working as guide at Batteriet Arholma military museum in Stockholm. For further information please contact me on lauvlad89@gmail.com

måndag 24 februari 2014

From BBC: The English expressions coined in WWI

From top left, clockwise: British soldier, zeppelin, "Boche", explosion, "skive"From the BBC article.


The article that I read today gives a interesting overview how the English language was affected by the World War One. Have you ever heard of expression that were used for German soldiers such as "Jerry" and "Fritz" but also derogatory expressions such as "Kraut" and "Hun". One of my favorites is the expression "Liberty cabbage" that was used USA in order to rename the sauerkraut  which was seen as "unpatriotic" after the war was declared on Germany in April 1917.

Sauerkraut, which was dubbed "liberty cabbage" during World War One.  "Liberty cabbage"? Picture from the article. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar